Aappam is a Kerala special made with grated coconut and cooked on one side by closing the pan. Generally raw rice and cooked rice are used. I have replaced raw rice with millet and cooked rice with poha/rice flakes. I didnot find any difference in texture or taste when compared with the traditional one.
- 3 Cups Kodo Millet/Varagu
- 3/4 Cup Poha/rice flakes
- 1 Cup grated Coconut
- 1 Cup Tender Coconut Water
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- Wash and soak the millet for 2 hours.
- Soak poha separately for 2 hours.
- Drain and grind everything to a smooth batter adding grated coconut and tender coconut water.
- Add sugar, salt and ferment for 8 hours. Let the batter be little thin.
- Preheat an aappa kadai lightly.
- With a ladle, add 1 measure of the batter, swirl the aappa kadai 2-3 times so that it spreads lightly, thin at edges and remaining batter will settle to the centre of the kadai.
- Cook on medium flame.
- Serve with Ishtu or Kadala Curry.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email