Aappam is a Kerala special made with grated coconut and cooked on one side by closing the pan. Generally raw rice and cooked rice are used. I have replaced raw rice with millet and cooked rice with poha/rice flakes. I didnot find any difference in texture or taste when compared with the traditional one.
- 3 Cups Kodo Millet/Varagu
- 3/4 Cup Poha/rice flakes
- 1 Cup grated Coconut
- 1 Cup Tender Coconut Water
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- Wash and soak the millet for 2 hours.
- Soak poha separately for 2 hours.
- Drain and grind everything to a smooth batter adding grated coconut and tender coconut water.
- Add sugar, salt and ferment for 8 hours. Let the batter be little thin.
- Preheat an aappa kadai lightly.
- With a ladle, add 1 measure of the batter, swirl the aappa kadai 2-3 times so that it spreads lightly, thin at edges and remaining batter will settle to the centre of the kadai.
- Cook on medium flame.
- Serve with Ishtu or Kadala Curry.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?