Upma is a fantastic breakfast delicacy. Aval/flakes/poha does not need much cooking. When mixed with veggies, it becomes a balanced breakfast dish. Using millet flakes makes sure that all the micro nutrients are present in the dish. Try this simple yet tasty recipe with millet Aval.
- 1 Cup Foxtail Millet Aval/poha/flakes
- 1 Cup Chopped Mixed Veggies (potatoes, beans carrots, peas)
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Green Capsicum
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Pomegranate Pearls (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Roasted Peanuts
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 6 Curry Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Chana dal
- 1 Tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 3 Slit Green Chillies
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Ginger
- 1/8 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/8 Tsp Asafoetida Powder
- Place the Aval in a colander and wash them. Let it drain.
- Heat a pan, add oil and when it is ready add mustard seeds, Chana dal, urad dal. Once they turn golden add ginger, chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida powder.
- Add onions and sauté till it turns transparant. Add veggies, salt and turmeric powder. Cover the pan and cook for a few minutes. When the veggies are half done, add capsicum and cook further.
- When the veggies are fully cooked, add the hydrated Aval/poha and mix well. Keeping the heat at minimum, cover the pan and cook for a minute. Switch off heat. Open, add roasted peanuts, coriander leaves, lemon juice and mix well.
- Healthy Upma is ready. Serve warm.
- Other millet flakes can also be used for this recipe.
- Can add veggies of your choice.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?