Upma is a fantastic breakfast delicacy. Aval/flakes/poha does not need much cooking. When mixed with veggies, it becomes a balanced breakfast dish. Using millet flakes makes sure that all the micro nutrients are present in the dish. Try this simple yet tasty recipe with millet Aval.
- 1 Cup Foxtail Millet Aval/poha/flakes
- 1 Cup Chopped Mixed Veggies (potatoes, beans carrots, peas)
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Green Capsicum
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Pomegranate Pearls (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Roasted Peanuts
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 6 Curry Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Chana dal
- 1 Tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 3 Slit Green Chillies
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Ginger
- 1/8 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/8 Tsp Asafoetida Powder
- Place the Aval in a colander and wash them. Let it drain.
- Heat a pan, add oil and when it is ready add mustard seeds, Chana dal, urad dal. Once they turn golden add ginger, chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida powder.
- Add onions and sauté till it turns transparant. Add veggies, salt and turmeric powder. Cover the pan and cook for a few minutes. When the veggies are half done, add capsicum and cook further.
- When the veggies are fully cooked, add the hydrated Aval/poha and mix well. Keeping the heat at minimum, cover the pan and cook for a minute. Switch off heat. Open, add roasted peanuts, coriander leaves, lemon juice and mix well.
- Healthy Upma is ready. Serve warm.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- Other millet flakes can also be used for this recipe.
- Can add veggies of your choice.