Lauki/Bottle gourd has many health benefits and when combined with millets to make parathas, it becomes a wholesome food. Bajra/Pearl Millet is rich in fibre and so digests slowly and releases sugar at a slower rate compared to other foods. It is a good source of phosphorus, magnesium and iron.
- 1 Cup Grated Bottle gourd/Lauki/Sorakkai
- 2 Cups Pearl Millet/Bajra flour
- 4 Finely Chopped Green Chillies
- 2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 /2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Carom Seeds
- Oil for making Parathas
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- In a wide Bowl, mix grated bottle gourd, salt and keep aside for 10 minutes. It will leave water.
- Now, add all other ingredients except oil and mix well. Using hot water, make a soft sough. The water quantity depends on the moisture from the greens.
- Keep covered for 10 minutes. Divide into 6 equal portions.
- Take one portion and pat it on a greased banana leaf or a parchment paper.
- Transfer this to a preheated pan/tawa and cook both sides with oil to make parathas.
- Serve with curd or raita.
Jamun Fruit Raitha:
- Deseed around 20 jamuns and make a fine paste. Add salt, beaten curd, roasted cumin powder and a few finely chopped green chillies.