Thavala Adai is a famous Tambrahm recipe made with rice and lentils. This protein rich dish can be served as breakfast, snack or dinner. I used Foxtail Millet for this recipe. Millets give extra crispiness to the dish compared to rice. Adding beetroot gives a vibrant pink colour and makes the adai all the more healthy!
- 1 Cup Thinai/Foxtail Millet
- 1/2 Cup Chana Dal
- 1/2 Cup Toor Dal
- 1/2 Cup Grated Beetroot
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 2 Red Chillies
- 2 Tbsp Grated Coconut
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Urad Dal
- 10 Chopped Curry Leaves
- 1 Tsp Oil
- Wash and soak millet and dals together for 3 hours.
- Grind to fine rawa consistency using very little water along with red chillies, asafoetida and coconut.
- Let the batter be thick.
- Add salt and grated beetroot and allow it to ferment for 2 hours.
- Transfer the seasoning to the batter and mix well.
- Using a kadai/curved pan make small adais. Pour half a tsp oil around and cook them on medium heat. Once the bottom side becomes crisp, flip and cook the other side.
- Remove and serve with chutney.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email