Thavala Adai is a famous Tambrahm recipe made with rice and lentils. This protein rich dish can be served as breakfast, snack or dinner. I used Foxtail Millet for this recipe. Millets give extra crispiness to the dish compared to rice. Adding beetroot gives a vibrant pink colour and makes the adai all the more healthy!
- 1 Cup Thinai/Foxtail Millet
- 1/2 Cup Chana Dal
- 1/2 Cup Toor Dal
- 1/2 Cup Grated Beetroot
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 2 Red Chillies
- 2 Tbsp Grated Coconut
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Urad Dal
- 10 Chopped Curry Leaves
- 1 Tsp Oil
- Wash and soak millet and dals together for 3 hours.
- Grind to fine rawa consistency using very little water along with red chillies, asafoetida and coconut.
- Let the batter be thick.
- Add salt and grated beetroot and allow it to ferment for 2 hours.
- Transfer the seasoning to the batter and mix well.
- Using a kadai/curved pan make small adais. Pour half a tsp oil around and cook them on medium heat. Once the bottom side becomes crisp, flip and cook the other side.
- Remove and serve with chutney.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email