Cooks in : 30 min Serves: 2 people
Betel leaf/Vetrilai/Paan ka patta has amazing medicinal properties and is a part of Indian culture. It helps in digestion, reducing gastric pain, relieves cough and increases hunger. Rasam is made out of these leaves. I made rasam rice with these leaves and it was a perfect dish after a heavy meal on previous day!
- 1/3C Kodo Millet
- 1 Tsp Coriander seeds
- 6 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Red Chilli
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Jeera
- 1/2 Tsp Chana Dal
- 1/8 Cup chopped betel leaves
- 1/8 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- 1 Tsp salt
- 8 curry leaves
- Gooseberry size tamarind soaked in water
1/2 Tsp Mustard seeds in 1 tsp ghee
- Wash and soak the millet for 15 minutes.
- Using ghee, fry red chilli, pepper, jeera, coriander seeds, chana dal and garlic cloves. Make a coarse powder.
- Extract 1 cup of tamarind juice.
- In a 2 Ltr cooker add the soaked drained millet, 1/3 Cup water, 1 Cup tamarind juice, spice powder, salt, turmeric powder, betel leaves and curry leaves.
- Cook for 5 whistles. Let pressure settle down. Open and add 3/4 cup of water and mix everything well.
- Add the seasoning and serve warm. A healthy rice is ready in minutes.
- Instead of tamarind juice, 1 tsp tamarind paste and 1 cup water can be added.
- Use leaves which are mild in taste.