Bisibelebath is a famous Karnataka dish prepared by cooking rice, dal and vegetables together with spices and served hot. I have used Foxtail Millet/Thinai for this, but can be prepared with any millet.
- 1/2 Cup Foxtail Millet/Thinai
- 1/2 Cup Toor Dal
- 2 Cups of Chopped mixed vegetables of drumstick, potato, beans, carrot, pumpkin
- 1/4 cup Shallots/Sambar onions
- 1 Small lemon size Tamarind ball
- 4 tbsp of Bisibelebath Masala
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Methi seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- A few curry leaves
- 4 tbsp Ghee/Sesame Oil
- Wash and soak dal for 2 hours.
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups of hot water for 30 minutes and extract pulp.
- In a Pressure Cooker, add ghee/oil and do the seasoning of mustard seeds, methi seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Saute the shallots for 2 minutes.
- Add dal, washed millet, vegetables, bisibele masala and salt.
- Add tamarind extract and 2 more cups of water. Close and cook for 4 whistles.
- Open after pressure settles down and mix in a tbsp of ghee for extra flavour.
- Serve with potato chips/papads.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?