Bisibelebath is a famous Karnataka dish prepared by cooking rice, dal and vegetables together with spices and served hot. I have used Foxtail Millet/Thinai for this, but can be prepared with any millet.
- 1/2 Cup Foxtail Millet/Thinai
- 1/2 Cup Toor Dal
- 2 Cups of Chopped mixed vegetables of drumstick, potato, beans, carrot, pumpkin
- 1/4 cup Shallots/Sambar onions
- 1 Small lemon size Tamarind ball
- 4 tbsp of Bisibelebath Masala
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Methi seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- A few curry leaves
- 4 tbsp Ghee/Sesame Oil
- Wash and soak dal for 2 hours.
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups of hot water for 30 minutes and extract pulp.
- In a Pressure Cooker, add ghee/oil and do the seasoning of mustard seeds, methi seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Saute the shallots for 2 minutes.
- Add dal, washed millet, vegetables, bisibele masala and salt.
- Add tamarind extract and 2 more cups of water. Close and cook for 4 whistles.
- Open after pressure settles down and mix in a tbsp of ghee for extra flavour.
- Serve with potato chips/papads.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email