Bottle gourd is one of the lowest calorie vegetable carrying just 14 calories per 100 g. It is one of the vegetables recommended by the dieticians in weight-control programme. Fresh gourd is a modest source of vitamin-C, thiamin, vitamin B-3, vitamin B-5, vitamin B-6 and minerals such as calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, manganese and magnesium. It is used to make stews, curries and sweets. In this dosa recipe, I have included this nutritious veggie along with millet.
- 1.5 Cups Foxtail Millet
- 2 Tbsp White Whole Urad Dal
- 1 Cup Grated Bottle Gourd (packed)
- 1/4 Cup Grated Coconut
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 8 Byadgi Chillies
- Wash and soak millet and dal together for 5 hours. Drain.
- Using a mixie, first grind coconut, chillies, jeera, pepper and salt to a coarse powder. Now add grated bottle gourd, millet and dal.
- Grind to a smooth batter by adding some water. Adjust to pouring dosa batter consistency by adding water. Rest for an hour. Make dosas.
- Serve with coconut chutney/sambar/podi
- Other millets like Kodo, Barnyard, Little or Proso can be used for this recipe.
- Normal red chillies can be used in place of beydagi chillies. In that case, reduce the chillies to suit your need.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?