Fresh chana and chana leaves (saag) are available in plenty during winter. Infact, winter is the season to indulge in lots of greens! I used these two to make a pulav with Kodo `millet and it tasted brilliant!
- 3/4 Cup Kodo Millet/Varagu
- 2 Cups Chana Saag (leaves)
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Green Chana (Chickpea)
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Tomato
- 3 Tbsp Oil/Ghee
- 2 Tbsp + 1/2 Cup Water
- 4 Slit Green Chillies
- 1/2 Tsp Each (Salt, Chilli Powder, Jeera)
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 Cloves, 1 Star anise, 4 crushed black pepper corns, 1 inch cinnamon piece, 1 crushed big cardamom
- Wash and soak Kodo millet for 30 minutes. Drain.
- In a 2 ltr pressure cooker add as follows:
- Layer 1: 3 tbsp oil/ghee, 2 tbsp water
- Layer 2: 3 cloves, 1 star anise, 4 crushed pepper corns, 1'' cinnamon, 1big cardamom, 1/2tsp jeera
- Layer 3: 4 slit green chillies and 1/4C fresh chana
- Layer 4: 1/4C chopped tomato
- Layer 5: 1C chana saag (leaves)
- Layer 6: 3/4C 30 minutes soaked drained Kodo Millet
- Layer 7: 1C chana saag
- Layer 8: 1/2tsp (salt, chilli powder), 1/4tsp turmeric powder
- Pour 1/2C water from sides.
- Cook on high for 3 whistles. Open after pressure settled down. Mix after 10 minutes.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
1. Little, Foxtail, Barnyard millets can be used for this recipe instead of Kodo millet.
2. For mushy consistency, add 1/4 cup more water.