Cooks in : 20 min Serves: 2 people
Fresh chana and chana leaves (saag) are available in plenty during winter. Infact, winter is the season to indulge in lots of greens! I used these two to make a pulav with Kodo `millet and it tasted brilliant!
- 3/4 Cup Kodo Millet/Varagu
- 2 Cups Chana Saag (leaves)
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Green Chana (Chickpea)
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Tomato
- 3 Tbsp Oil/Ghee
- 2 Tbsp + 1/2 Cup Water
- 4 Slit Green Chillies
- 1/2 Tsp Each (Salt, Chilli Powder, Jeera)
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 Cloves, 1 Star anise, 4 crushed black pepper corns, 1″ cinnamon piece, 1 crushed big cardamom
- Wash and soak Kodo millet for 30 minutes. Drain.
- In a 2 ltr pressure cooker add as follows:
- Layer 1: 3 tbsp oil/ghee, 2 tbsp water
Layer 2: 3 cloves, 1 star anise, 4 crushed pepper corns, 1″cinnamon, 1big cardamom, 1/2tsp jeera
Layer 3: 4 slit green chillies and 1/4C fresh chana
Layer 4: 1/4C ch tomato
Layer 5: 1C chana saag (leaves)
Layer 6: 3/4C 30 minutes soaked drained Kodo Millet
Layer 7: 1C chana saag
Layer 8: 1/2tsp (salt, chilli powder), 1/4tsp turmeric powder
Pour 1/2C water from sides.
Cook on high for 3 whistles. Open after pressure settled down. Mix after 10 minutes.
1. Little, Foxtail, Barnyard millets can be used for this recipe instead of Kodo millet.
2. For mushy consistency, add 1/4 cup more water.