Turmeric is a fantastic medicine which has Curcumin and is useful in treating many diseases from common cold to cancer. I try to add fresh turmeric (Pasu Manjal) as much as possible in my cooking during the season. This one pot rasam recipe is a perfect soul food and can be prepared in a very short time. Try this simple recipe with millet and get the benefits of fresh turmeric.
- 1/4 Cup Barnyard Millet
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Cooked Toor Dal
- 2 Tbsp Grated Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Grated Ginger
- 1 Tsp Rasam Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Asafoetida Powder
- 5 Curry Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Ghee
- 1/2 Tsp each (Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds)
- Wash and soak Millet for an hour. Drain.
- Heat a small cooker on medium heat, add ghee and do the seasoning. Add turmeric and ginger, sauté for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, , chilli, salt and sauté for a minute.
- Add the drained millet, water, cooked dal, rasam powder, asafoetida powder, curry leaves and mix well. Close and cook for 4 whistles. Let pressure settle.
- Open mash the cooked millet slightly with the ladle. Mix in lemon juice and serve hot with potato fry or pappadam.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- Other millets like Kodo, Little, Foxtail, Proso can be used for this recipe.