Turmeric is a fantastic medicine which has Curcumin and is useful in treating many diseases from common cold to cancer. I try to add fresh turmeric (Pasu Manjal) as much as possible in my cooking during the season. This one pot rasam recipe is a perfect soul food and can be prepared in a very short time. Try this simple recipe with millet and get the benefits of fresh turmeric.
- 1/4 Cup Barnyard Millet
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Cooked Toor Dal
- 2 Tbsp Grated Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Grated Ginger
- 1 Tsp Rasam Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Asafoetida Powder
- 5 Curry Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Ghee
- 1/2 Tsp each (Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds)
- Wash and soak Millet for an hour. Drain.
- Heat a small cooker on medium heat, add ghee and do the seasoning. Add turmeric and ginger, sauté for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, , chilli, salt and sauté for a minute.
- Add the drained millet, water, cooked dal, rasam powder, asafoetida powder, curry leaves and mix well. Close and cook for 4 whistles. Let pressure settle.
- Open mash the cooked millet slightly with the ladle. Mix in lemon juice and serve hot with potato fry or pappadam.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- Other millets like Kodo, Little, Foxtail, Proso can be used for this recipe.