Arai Keerai/Spleen Amaranth leaves are highly nutritious and they are widely used in almost all parts of India. Generally simple mash or gravy with lentils are made. I used these leaves and moong dal to get a balanced healthy rice variety with foxtail millet.
- 1/2 Cup Foxtail Millet
- 2 Cups (packed) Chopped Spleen Amaranth/Arai Keerai Leaves
- 1/2 Cup Chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Moong dal
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Grated Coconut
- 2 Tbsp Roasted Peanuts
- 1/2 Tsp Crushed Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Slit Green Chillies
- 1/8 Tsp Asafoetida
- Wash and soak the millet and dal for 30 minutes and drain.
- In a 2 Ltr Pressure Cooker add as folllows:
- Layer 1: 2 Tbsp oil
- Layer 2: Green Chillies, Cumin Seeds, Pepper
- Layer 3: Chopped Tomatoes
- Layer4: 1 Cup keerai/leaves
- Layer 5: Drained Millet and dal
- Layer 6: 1 Cup leaves
- Layer 7: Salt, turmeric powder, coconut, asafoetida.
- Pour 1/4 Cup water from sides without disturbing the set up. Pour 3 tsp of water on top. Cook on high for 3 whistles. Open after pressure settles down.
- On opening it may look under cooked. Fluff up and keep covered for 10 minutes. Mix in roasted peanuts. A well cooked perfectly balanced healthy rice ready! Serve with any raitha or dal.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- Click here or picture below to buy a Mixed Millets Combo Pack of 5.