Arai Keerai/Spleen Amaranth leaves are highly nutritious and they are widely used in almost all parts of India. Generally simple mash or gravy with lentils are made. I used these leaves and moong dal to get a balanced healthy rice variety with foxtail millet.
- 1/2 Cup Foxtail Millet
- 2 Cups (packed) Chopped Spleen Amaranth/Arai Keerai Leaves
- 1/2 Cup Chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Moong dal
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Grated Coconut
- 2 Tbsp Roasted Peanuts
- 1/2 Tsp Crushed Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Slit Green Chillies
- 1/8 Tsp Asafoetida
- Wash and soak the millet and dal for 30 minutes and drain.
- In a 2 Ltr Pressure Cooker add oil. Once hot, sauté green chillies and cumin and pepper seeds.
- Add tomatoes and sauté for a minute. Add the chopped greens, drained millet and dal, Salt, turmeric powder, coconut, asafoetida.
- Pour 1/2 cup water . Cook on high for 3 whistles. Open after pressure settles down.
- On opening it may look under cooked. Fluff up and keep covered for 10 minutes. Mix in roasted peanuts. A well cooked perfectly balanced healthy rice ready! Serve with any raitha or dal.
- Click here or picture below to buy a Mixed Millets Combo Pack of 5.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?