Kummayam is a special dish of Chettinadu. This sweet is a compulsory dish in their wedding feast. It is also made as an offering to Parvathi Devi during the Tamil Month Aadi mostly on Fridays or Tuesdays. The Kummayam flour can be prepared in bulk for later use. Urad dal is the main ingredient for this recipe and millet and moong dal are added in small quantities. Try this simple, but a very healthy recipe with millet.
- 4 Tbsp Whole White Urad Dal
- 1 Tbsp Yellow Moong Dal
- 1 Tbsp Foxtail Millet
- 2.5 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Jaggery Powder
- 4 + 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 2 Cardamom Pods
- 4 Cashew nuts broken into pieces
- In a pan, on medium heat dry roast urad dal, moong dal and millet separately till they turn aromatic and golden in colour. Once cooled, grind them together along with cardamom pods to a fine powder. Sieve the flour to remove the big particles. Measure this in a cup. Check the video for more clarity.
- Now take jaggery powder equal to the prepared flour. Add 2.5 times water. The ratio of flour : jaggery : water is 1 : 1: 2.5.
- Melt jaggery and keep aside. In a pan on medium heat, add 4 tbsp ghee and once it is warm, add cashew pieces and roast till they turn slightly brown. Add the flour and roast for a minute till it turns aromatic. Now keeping the heat on LOW, add the jaggery water through a filter to remove the impurities.
- Using a whisk mix continuously so that no lumps are formed. The flour gets cooked easily in 2 to 3 minutes. Once cooked, it will start leaving the sides of the pan. Now add 2 tbsp more ghee and mix well.
- To check whether the flour is fully cooked, just wet your fingers and touch the cooked mixture. If it sticks, it means it needs further cooking. If the fingers are clean, it shows that the flour is fully cooked. Now, turn off heat. Kummayam will thicken further on cooling.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- Other millets like Kodo, Barnyard, Proso or Little Millet can be used for this recipe.
- Palm Jaggery can be used instead of normal jaggery.
- For vegan version Coconut Oil can be used instead of ghee.