This is another idli recipe using lobia/Karamani/Pigeon eyed peas instead of urad dal. The right combination of millets and other ingredients is the secret of getting soft , fluffy idlis. These idlis are as delicious as urad dal idlis and you will find no difference in taste.
- 1 Cup Whole Pearl Millet Grains/Kambu
- 1 Cup Foxtail Millet/Thinai
- 1 Cup Sago/Javvarisi/Sabudana
- 1 Cup Lobia/White Karamani/Pigeon Eyed Peas
- 1/4 Cup Poha
- 1 Tsp Fenugreek/Methi Seeds
- 2.5 Tsp Salt
- Soak millets, dal, sago and fenugreek seeds together for 5 hours. Soak poha separately for an hour.
- Using mixie, grind to a thick batter. Add salt.
- Ferment for 6 to 8 hours/overnight.
- Using idli moulds, make idlis. Serve with sambar/chutney/podi.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
1. I used red rice flakes/poha for this recipe.
2. Make sure the bater is thick. Millet batter becomes slightly thin after fermenting.