Masal vadai is a very popular snack of South India. It is made with Chana Dal and some spices. Combining millet along with lentils gave a very good taste, texture and it remained crisp for a long time. Different veggies can be added to make the vadai more nutritious.
- 1/2 Cup Barnyard Millet/Kudhiraivali
- 1/2 Cup Chana Dal
- 1 Tbsp Toor Dal
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seeds/Sombu
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/8 Tsp Asafoetida Powder
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Onions
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Curry Leaves
- 4 Red Chillies
- 1" Ginger
- Oil For Frying
- Wash and soak Millet and dals separately for 3 hours. Drain.
- First blend chillies, ginger, salt, fennel seeds, asafoetida powder and turmeric powder to a coarse paste.
- Add dals and grind till they are broken into half.
- Add the drained millet and grind everything to fine rava consistency. Do not add water while grinding. The batter should be thick.
- Transfer the batter to a wide bowl and add onions, curry leaves and coriander leaves. Mix well. The water from the veggies is enough to make the batter moist.
- Heat oil in a pan. Shape the batter into small patties and when oil is hot enough to fry, keeping the heat on medium, fry the patties till they become crisp. Flip them in between for even frying.
- Serve hot with chutney/sauce.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
1. Other millets like Kodo, Little and Foxtail millets can also be used.
2. Cabbage, fresh greens, carrots can also be added to make cabbage vadai, keerai vadai and carrot vadai.
3. Red chillies can be replaced with green chillies.