Delicious kichdi with nutrition packed palak! It is a perfect wholesome meal during winters when plenty of fresh tender spinach is available. Moong, masoor or toor dal can be used for this recipe. Try this protein and fibre rich comfort food with millets.
- 1/2 Cup Kodo Millet
- 1/2 Cup Split Yellow Moong Dal
- 4 Cups Chopped Palak
- 1 Tbsp Ghee/Oil
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 Cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Jeera
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/8 Tsp Asafoetida Powder
- Soak millet and dal for an hour. Drain. Puree palak along with green chilli without adding water.
- In a small cooker, add ghee and once it is hot, add all whole spices (cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, jeera) one by one and sauté till nice aroma. Add chopped tomatoes and sauté till they slightly become soft.
- Add drained millet, dal and 2 cups water. Now add turmeric powder, chilli powder, ginger garlic paste, asafoetida powder and salt. Finally add palak puree and mix well. Close and cook for 5 whistles.
- Open after the pressure settles down. In a small tadka pan add a tbsp of ghee and temper 1/2 tsp jeera, a few curry leaves and 1 crushed red chilli. Pour it over the hot kichdi and serve immediately.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
- If you are using any other dal, increase qty accordingly.
- Adjust chillies according to your taste.
- Other Millets like Barnyard, Little or Foxtail can be used for this recipe.
- Click here or picture below to buy a Mixed Millets Combo Pack of 5.