Puli Pongal is a Tambrahm dish, generally made for dinner, a slight variant from Puliyodharai. The dish is mushy and served with vadams. I have tried this with little, kodo, barnyard and foxtail millets and all the four are suitable for this dish.
- 1 Cup Millet (Little/Kodo/Barnyard/Foxtail Millet)
- 3.5 Cups of water
- 4 Tbsp of Puliyogare Powder
- 2 Tbsp Peanuts
- 1/2 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Tsp Chana Dal
- 1 Red Chilli
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 3 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Jaggery
- Wash and soak the millet in 3.5 cups of water for an hour.
- In a Pressure Cooker, add oil and do tempering of mustard, dals, chilli, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the soaked millet with water.
- Add the puliyogare powder, salt, jaggery and turmeric powder.
- Cook for 5 whistles.
- Open after pressure settles down.
- Serve hot with vadams.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email