Idiyappam is a famous Tamilnadu dish which can be had as breakfast, lunch or dinner! Generally, the cooked rice flour is made in to noodles and steamed. It can be served with kuruma, ishtu or sweetened coconut milk. I have used Ragi flour and Autolysis helps to get soft noodles . I served the idiyappam with ishtu, made of potatoes and sprouted fenugreek/methi seeds. Check OPOS section for the recipe.
- 1 Cup Ragi Flour
- 1.25 Cups Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Oil
- In a 2 ltr Pressure Cooker, add water, salt, oil and cook for a whistle on high heat.
- Immediately, release pressure carefully and mix in the ragi flour. Mix till it resembles like wet sand.
- Keep it covered with weight on for 20 minutes.
- Open, knead briefly after greasing the palms.
- Using the press, make thin strings on a greased plate or idli mould.
- Steam them for 2 to 3 minutes. Idiyappams are ready!
- Serve with your preferred side dish.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?