Cooks in : 20 min Serves: 2 people
This is an heirloom recipe of Tamilnadu. Traditionally this dish is made with sour buttermilk and rice flour. It can be served either for breakfast or as evening snack. As the Upma is well spiced, it does not need any side dish. Ragi is rich in calcium and iron, has a high fibre content, reduces blood cholesterol and also regulates blood sugar levels.
- 1 Cup Ragi Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sour Curd
- 1/2 Cup water
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 Tsp Chana Dal
- 1/2 Tsp Grated Ginger
- 1/8 Tsp Asafoetida Powder
- 3 Curd Chillies/Mormilagai
- 1 Green Chilli
- 8 Curry Leaves
- Beat the curd well and add water. Mix in salt and ragi flour. Make a thick batter without lumps. Rest for 10 minutes.
- In a pan add oil and do the seasoning. Once done add the ragi batter and cook on low heat till it absorbs all moisture and turns crumbly. This may take 8 to 10 minutes.
- Switch off and serve warm.
- For an even texture run the hand blender for a few seconds.
1. I used home made curd. If store bought curd is used which is thick, add 1/4 Cup more water.
2. Pearl millet flour or Sorghum flour can also be used for this recipe.
3. I used a nonstick pan. If you are using other pans, add a little more oil.