Cooks in : 20 min Serves: 2 people
Ragi Semiya upma is a quick wholesome breakfast dish. Since the semiya is very delicate, it becomes mushy if not prepared with great care. The semiya strands retaining their shape and texture after cooking is made easy by the method taught by Ramakrishnan.
- 180 grams of Ragi Semiya or 3 cups
- 2 Onions Chopped (medium size)
- 3 Slit Green Chillies
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Chana Dal
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- A few curry leaves
- 2 tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Grated Carrots
- 2 tbsp Pomagranate seeds
- 2 tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Wash and drain the semiya in a colander.
- In a pan, add oil and do the seasoning of mustard seeds, dals, asafoetida, chillies and curry leaves. Saute onion till transparent.
- Transfer this to the drained semiya and add salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer this to a vessel.
- In a Pressure Cooker, add a cup of water and place the vessel and cook for 2 whistles. Let pressure settle.
- Open and garnish with carrots, pomegranate and coriander leaves.
- Perfectly cooked non sticky Ragi semiya upma ready.