For centuries, people of Tamil nadu lived on old rice soaked in water and having it along with some onions, salt and buttermilk as breakfast! This is a very good probiotic drink with which I grew up with. This was our regular breakfast food during summer vacations. Due to modernisation, we lost all these healthy dishes! I used Kodo millet rice for this recipe and revived my good old childhood memories!
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Kodo Millet Rice
- Enough water to soak the rice
- 1/2 Cup Curd or thick buttermilk
- 6 Chopped Shallots
- 1/4 Tsp Rock Salt
- 6 Chopped curry leaves
- 1/8 Tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 Tsp seasoned mustard seeds
- 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped cucumber
- 1/4 Tsp Finely Chopped Green Chillies
- Add water just enough to cover the cooked and cooled rice, preferably in a mud pot. Add salt.
- Next day morning, mash the soaked rice with hands. Add the other ingredients.
- Serve with any pickle.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email