The Telugu version of a savoury pancake made with rice flour filled with Chana dal, Peanuts, spices and greens is a delicacy of Telangana.This is also known as Ginappa/Tappala Chekka. I replaced rice flour with a mix of ragi, jowar and bajra flours and added more veggies to make it more healthy. This crispy pancake tastes awesome when it is hot and can be served as breakfast/snack.
- 2 Cups Millet Flour
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
- 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped greens ( Mix of Coriander leaves, Pudhina, Curry leaves)
- 1/4 Cup Grated Carrots
- 3 Tbsp Chana Dal
- 3 Tbsp Roasted Peanuts
- 2 Tbsp Roasted White Sesame/Til/Vellai Ellu
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Green Chilli Paste
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli Powder
- Oil for making pancakes
- Crush peanuts into small pieces. Soak Chana dal and peanuts for an hour. Drain.
- In a wide mixing bowl add all ingredients except oil and mix well.
- Make a soft dough by adding water in regular intervals. Rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts.
- Grease a pan with oil and place a portion of the dough in the centre. Gently flatten it out with wet fingers to form a disc. Make few holes so that the pancake cooks well.
- Cook on low heat. Drizzle oil along the edges and in the centre. Once the bottom portion becomes crisp, flip and cook the other side.
- Cook the remaining dough in the same way. Serve with some tangy raw mango chutney or curd.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- I used a mix of jowar, bajra and ragi flours. Any single millet flour can also be used.
- The water quantity depends on the moisture content of the veggies added. So first mix the veggies well with dry flour and add water in regular intervals. I needed 1 Cup of water.
- Can also add 2 Tbsp of grated coconut.