Tomato Rice or Thakkali Sadham is a popular South Indian mixed rice variety made using lot of tomatoes and spices. This dish can be prepared very quickly if you have precooked millet on hand. This also suits best for lunch box. It tastes so good when the millet soaks in the tomato masala for sometime. Try this simple yet mouth watering recipe with millets.
- 2 Cups Precooked and cooled Kodo Millet
- 1 Cup Chopped Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Thinly Sliced Onion
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Green Peas
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Slit Green Chillies
- 1 Tsp Sambar Powder
- 1 Tsp Chana dal
- 1/2 Tsp Each (Mustard seeds, Urad dal)
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Each (Turmeric Powder, Asafoetida Powder)
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Each (Bay Leaf, Big Cardamom)
- 1'' Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Heat a pan on medium heat, add oil and temper mustard seeds, urad dal, Chana dal, whole spices, green chillies and asafoetida powder.
- Add onions and sauté till transparent. Add tomatoes, peas sambar powder and salt. Sauté till it becomes mushy and dry. Switch off heat. Keep covered for 2 minutes, till all aromas and taste blends well.
- Add cooked and cooled millet. Mix thoroughly so that the millet is well coated with tomato masala. Keep covered for 5 minutes. Finally add coriander leaves and serve with onion raita.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- Other millets like Foxtail, Barnyard, Little and Proso can be used for this recipe.
- Can add a tbsp of roasted peanuts/cashew nuts for a crunchy bite.