This is a traditional dish of TamilNadu, made with rice and moong dal. A very simple dish, but tastes fantastic with a spicy chutney. Generally, this is prepared for dinner. I achieved the same taste with millets and am really happy to share an age old recipe using millets.
- 3/4 Cup Kodo Millet/Varagu
- 1/4 Cup Moong dal
- 2 Tbsp Grated Coconut
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 5 Red Chillies
- 2 Tsp Urad Dal
- 2 Tsp Chana Dal
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida Powder/Hing/Perungayam
- 10 Curry Leaves
- Roast dal and rice lightly. Wash and soak for 30 minutes. Drain.
- In a cooker add oil and do the seasoning.
- Add dal, rice, water and salt.
- Close and cook for 2 whistles. Let pressure settle down.
- Open, fluff up after 10 minutes and add grated coconut. Serve with chutney.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
1. For OPOS version, in a 2 Ltr cooker, add pre roasted dal, rice, water, salt and premade tadka. Cook for 2 Whistles. Let pressure settle down. Open and add grated coconut.
2. Little, Barnyard, Foxtail and Proso millets can also be used for this recipe.