This is a traditional dish of TamilNadu, made with rice and moong dal. A very simple dish, but tastes fantastic with a spicy chutney. Generally, this is prepared for dinner. I achieved the same taste with millets and am really happy to share an age old recipe using millets.
- 3/4 Cup Kodo Millet/Varagu
- 1/4 Cup Moong dal
- 2 Tbsp Grated Coconut
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 5 Red Chillies
- 2 Tsp Urad Dal
- 2 Tsp Chana Dal
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida Powder/Hing/Perungayam
- 10 Curry Leaves
- Roast dal and rice lightly. Wash and soak for 30 minutes. Drain.
- In a cooker add oil and do the seasoning.
- Add dal, rice, water and salt.
- Close and cook for 2 whistles. Let pressure settle down.
- Open, fluff up after 10 minutes and add grated coconut. Serve with chutney.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
1. For OPOS version, in a 2 Ltr cooker, add pre roasted dal, rice, water, salt and premade tadka. Cook for 2 Whistles. Let pressure settle down. Open and add grated coconut.
2. Little, Barnyard, Foxtail and Proso millets can also be used for this recipe.