Baking is my passion and I love to explore with millets. Since millets are gluten free, it is always a challenge to bake a perfect cake. For this delicious gluten free cake, I have used bajra flour and as you can see, it turned out soft and moist. I baked this cake for my vegan son's birthday!
- 3/4 Cup Pearl Millet/Bajra/Kambu Flour
- 1/2 Cup Nattu Sarkarai/Brown Sugar
- 3.5 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Sugar free Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 1 Tbsp Flaxseed Powder + 2 Tbsp Water ( For flax gel)
- 1.5 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extrac
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- 10 Thinly Chopped Almonds
- 3 to 4 Tbsp Water for making the batter
- In a wide bowl add flaxseed powder, 2 tbsp water and mix well. Keep aside for 5 minutes so that flax gel is formed.
- After 5 minutes, add vinegar, oil, cocoa powder, coffee powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda and vanilla extract to the gel and mix well.
- Add sugar and mix well with other ingredients. Finally add millet flour and fold. Add a few tbsp of water to get the desired batter consistency.
- Grease a cake tin, pour the batter and tap lightly. Sprinkle almonds on top and gently press with a spatula.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 25 to 30 minutes.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- Replace 1/4 Cup bajra flour with maida/wheat flour for a non gluten cake.
- Jaggery powder/refined sugar can be used instead of brown sugar.