Fenugreek or Methi seeds are very commonly used in Indian cuisine. Its health benefits are amazing! It balances cholesterol, soothes upset stomach, reduces mensural cramps and maintains liver and kidney health. Its high fibre content helps in slow release of sugar and thus helps diabetic people. This Vendhaya Idli is an age old recipe made with idli rice and fenugreek seeds. Even without the addition of any lentil, the fenugreek seeds give soft fluffy texture to the idlis. I used millet instead of rice for this recipe and got excellent idlis which my family enjoyed it with peanut chutney!
- 2 Cups Barnyard/Kudiraivali Millet
- 1/4 Cup Flattenedrice/Poha/Aval
- 2 Tbsp Fenugreek/Methi/Vendhayam Seeds
- 1 Tsp Salt
- Wash and soak Millet and fenugreek seeds separately for 6 hours.
- Grind poha to fine rava consistency. Place the rava in a tea filter, wash and drain. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Drain the soaked water and first grind fenugreek seeds adding 1/4 Cup water. Mix well and add 2 tbsp more water and grind. Finally add 1 tbsp water and grind it till becomes fluffy. The fenugreek batter should be soft, fluffy and thick.
- Grind the soaked millet to fine rava consistency, mix everything well and allow it to ferment for 8 hours.
- After fermenting, add salt, mix well and if the batter is very thick add 2 or 3 tbsp water, mix the batter and make idlis.
- Serve the healthy idlis with sambar/chutney/podi .
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
1. Other millets like Kodo, Little, foxtail can also be used.
2. Grinding fenugreek seeds to a fluffy consistency is very important.
3. The water which was used for soaking methi seeds can be consumed as it is. No need to discard.