This delicious payasam or kheer is one of the easiest sweet which can be made very quickly. Aval/flakes/poha is very dear to Lord Krishna. This sweet dish can be made as neivedhyam on any auspicious day. Using millet flakes instead of regular rice flakes makes this recipe more healthy.
- 1/2 Cup Kodo Millet Flakes/Poha/Aval
- 1 Cup Third Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Second Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Jaggery Powder/country sugar
- 2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Coconut pieces
- 2 Tbsp Roasted Cashew nuts
- 1 Tbsp Ghee/Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- Place the millet in a colander and wash. Let it drain for some time.
- Heat a pan add ghee or coconut oil. Add coconut pieces and fry them on low heat till they turn golden brown. Add chopped cashew nuts and fry along with the coconut pieces. Remove.
- Add poha, third coconut milk and cook on low heat for two to three minutes. Add jaggery powder and continue cooking for another 3 minutes on low heat or till the raw smell goes off.
- Add a cup of second coconut milk and heat it for just 2 minutes on low heat. Finally add cardamom powder, roasted coconut and cashew pieces.
- Delicious payasam is ready. You can adjust the consistency by adding more milk.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- Other millet flakes can also be used for this recipe.
- Sugar can also be added instead of jaggery.
- Dairy Milk can be used instead of Coconut milk.
- Adjust the milk qty according to the desired consistency.
- Cook on low heat throughout. Since we are using coconut milk, it may split if cooked on high heat.