Aval or poha Puttu is a traditional dish which can be prepared within 10 minutes. A simple easy and healthy dish which even children would love to indulge. I used Finger Millet or Ragi flakes for this recipe.
- 2 Cups Finger Millet/Ragi Aval/Flakes
- 3/4 Cup Palm Sugar or Jaggery Powder
- 1/2 Cup Grated Coconut
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 2 Tbsp Ghee fried cashewnut pieces
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- A small pinch of salt
- Heat a pan and roast the flakes for a minute on low heat. Switch off.
- Once cooled, crush them slightly with hands.
- Mix salt and add a few tablespoons of water. The flakes should be moist. So add very little water at a time.
- Steam the flakes for 5 minutes in a cooker. Let it cool down.
- Add palm sugar or jaggery, cardamom powder, ghee and coconut.
- Mix well and serve.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
1. Any other millet flakes can also be used instead of Ragi flakes.