This is a famous prasadam in Thirumaliruncholai temple which is situated in the outskirts of Madurai. Dosai is offered to Lord Sundararajan often addressed as ''Kallar'' by devotees. Raw rice, whole black gram are used to make batter and spices like cumin and pepper are added to the fermented batter. I have replaced raw rice with foxtail Millet and it came out very well and tastes just like rice dosa. Little/Kodo/Barnyard millets can also be used instead of Foxtail Millet.
- 1.5 Cups Foxtail Millet
- 1 Cup Whole Black Urad Dal with skin
- 1.25 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 5 Curry Leaves
- Wash and soak Dal and millet separately for 4 hours. First grind the dal to a smooth batter without adding much water. Let it be thick.
- Grind the millet coarsely to fine rava consistency adding little water. Mix it with dal, add salt and allow it to ferment for 6 to 8 hours.
- Before making dosas add crushed cumin, pepper and chopped curry leaves and mix well.
- These dosas are usually made thick.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email