During the auspicious month of Purattasi, many offerings are made to Lord Venkateswara and one important Prasadam is Ellodharai/Sesame rice/til rice. This rice variety is generally offered on Saturdays. This traditional recipe is easy to prepare and takes less than 10 minutes.
- 2 Cups Cooked and cooled Barnyard/Kudhiraivali Millet
- 3 Tbsp Sesame seeds
- 3 Red Chillies
- 1 Tbsp Grated Kopra
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Peanuts
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp Urad Dal
- 1/8 Tsp Asafoetida Powder
- 10 Curry Leaves
- In a pan dry Roast sesame seeds till they splutter. Remove.
- Add oil, roast red chillies and remove.
- In the remaining oil, do the seasoning and switch off. Add the millet and salt.
- Make a coarse powder of sesame seeds, red chillies and Kopra using the small mixie jar.
- Add the ground powder to the millet and mix everything well.
- Ellodharai is ready!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
1. Other millets like Kodo, Little, Foxtail can be used for this recipe.
2. Adjust spice level according to individual taste.
3. The spice powder can be made in bulk and stored in the fridge.
4. Instead of Kopra, fresh coconut can also be used after dry roasting till it becomes slightly brown.