Puttu is a breakfast delicacy generally made in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. It is made using processed rice flour. I have already shared jowar puttu with jaggery. Palm sugar is a sweetener made from the sap present in the buds of the palm tree. It is unrefined and rich in vitamins and minerals. Its low glycemic index makes it diabetic friendly. Millet puttu flour is available in Khadi Outlets.
- 1 Cup Kambu/Bajra/Pearl Millet Puttu Flour
- 1/2 Cup Palm Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Grated Coconut
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 2 Tbsp Ghee roasted Cashew nuts
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- Warm Water
- Mix salt to the puttu flour and add warm water little by little. When we hold the flour it should hold the shape and when we leave it should become flour again. That is the right consistency.
- In a 2 Ltr cooker add as follows:
- 1/2 Cup water
- Add the flour in a vessel and place it inside the cooker.
- Add palm sugar in a small bowl. Add 3 tbsp water and cardamom powder. Make sure that the sugar is melted. Place this small bowl on the flour.
- Now cover the flour bowl with a lid.
- Cook on high for 8 whistles. Release pressure manually.
- Remove the syrup bowl and mix it with the cooked flour. Add ghee, roasted nuts and mix thoroughly.
- Within minutes soft grainy lump free puttu is ready.
1. Normal Kambu flour can also be used. Roast the flour on low heat till nice aroma and then proceed.
2. Palm jaggery/karupatti/palm candy sugar can also be used instead of palm sugar.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?