Manjal Pongal is offered to goddess during Tamil month of Aadi. This is a very simple and unique prashad offered along with Thalagam, a mixed vegetable stew. The pongal is generally prepared in grainy consistency. This is a traditional dish of Thirunelveli District, Tamilnadu. I used Kodo Millet for this recipe.
- 6 Tbsp Kodo Millet
- 3 Tbsp Toor Dal
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Cup Water
- Wash and soak millet and dal for 30 minutes. Drain.
- In a 2 Ltr Cooker add millet dal mixture, salt, turmeric powder and water.
- Cook for 4 whistles. Let pressure settle down.
- Add a tbsp of ghee as topping and serve along with Thalagam and vadam (rice crisp).
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
1. This measurement is for 2 people.
2. Can use other millets like Little, Barnyard or Foxtail.
3. For mushy consistency, add 1/2 Cup more water.