Manjal Pongal is offered to goddess during Tamil month of Aadi. This is a very simple and unique prashad offered along with Thalagam, a mixed vegetable stew. The pongal is generally prepared in grainy consistency. This is a traditional dish of Thirunelveli District, Tamilnadu. I used Kodo Millet for this recipe.
- 6 Tbsp Kodo Millet
- 3 Tbsp Toor Dal
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Cup Water
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- Wash and soak millet and dal for 30 minutes. Drain.
- In a 2 Ltr Cooker add millet dal mixture, salt, turmeric powder and water.
- Cook for 4 whistles. Let pressure settle down.
- Add a tbsp of ghee as topping and serve along with Thalagam and vadam (rice crisp).
1. This measurement is for 2 people.
2. Can use other millets like Little, Barnyard or Foxtail.
3. For mushy consistency, add 1/2 Cup more water.