Halwa is not only popular in India, but also in a few Asian and Middle Eastern countries known in various names as aluva, helva etc. The base is mainly flour, rava, nuts, fruits and vegetables. In this recipe, I have used both millet flour and yellow pumpkin also known as paragikaai, kaddu or squash. This particular veggie is high in Vitamin A, C, and has high antioxidants and fibre. Try this easy healthy halwa recipe! Subscribe to our YouTube Channel.
- 2 Cups Packed Grated Yellow Pumpkin/Squash/Parangikaai/Kaddu
- 1 Cup Jowar Flour
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar/Jaggery Powder
- 1/2 Cup Thick Coconut Milk
- 1/2 + 1/4 Cup Water
- 4 Tbsp Coconut Oil/Ghee
- 1 Tbsp each (Sliced Almonds, Raisins)
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon or Cardamom Powder
- Heat a pan on medium flame. Add oil/ghee and roast jowar flour and roast. Add almond pieces and raisins. Roast till the raisins puffs up well and the flour turns aromatic.
- Add grated pumpkin and mix well. Add coconut milk and 1/2 Cup water. Mix thoroughly and cover with a lid and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Mix a few times in between. Add the remaining 1/4 Cup water and cook for a few more minutes till all the moisture is absorbed.
- Add brown sugar/jaggery powder. It will melt. Continue cooking on medium heat till the oil separates and the mixture becomes a mass. Add cinnamon/cardamom powder and mix well. Turn off heat and let it sit on the retained heat for a few more minutes.
- Delicious halwa ready!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- Other millet flours can also be used for this recipe.
- Can add more oil/ghee.