Mullu thenkuzhal is a snack item made during Janmashtami and Diwali. Rice flour is mixed with lentil flours and deep fried to make this crispy snack. I replaced rice flour with jowar flour and added kasoori methi for flavour.
- 2 Cups Jowar/Cholam flour
- 1 Cup mix flour of Moong dal and Chana dal. (To get this, slightly dry roast equal portions of dals and grind it in a flour mill)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- 4 tbsp Crushed Kasoori Methi
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix the flours with salt, asafoetida, butter and kasoori methi.
- Add water and make a soft dough.
- Heat oil in a pan
- Using the star shaped plate, press the dough in circular motion in the hot oil.
- Cook on both sides till it becomes crispy.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- Reduce the heat of the oil to medium once it is hot enough to deep fry. Otherwise, thenkuzhal will turn dark.