This month of Purattasi is dedicated to Lord Venkateswara and Saturdays are considered auspicious for Him. Different offerings are made during this period and one of them is Ulundhodharai or Ulundhogare. A simple flavourful tasty rice variety made with urad dal which can be prepared within 10 minutes.
- 2 Cups Cooked and Cooled Kodo Millet
- 3 Tbsp White Urad Dal
- 1 Tbsp Grated Coconut
- 2 Red Chillies
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp Peanuts
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/8 Tsp Asafoetida Powder
- In a pan add oil and roast urad dal, pepper and red chillies in the same order. Remove. Once cooled, make a coarse powder along with salt. Spice powder is ready.
- Now do the seasoning in the remaining oil and switch off the heat.
- Add cooked millet to the seasoning and the spice powder. Give a good mix. Finally add grated coconut. If needed add a tsp of sesame oil and mix well.
- Ulundhogare or Ulundhodharai is ready!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
1. The spice powder can be made in bulk and stored in fridge.
2. Other millets like foxtail, little and barnyard can be used for this recipe.
3. Can add a few cashew nuts while doing seasoning.
4. Please refer my post Millet Rice for cooking perfect non mushy grainy millet.