This is the 200th Post! Thanks all of you for encouraging me with your comments, validations and motivations. Without your support, this is not possible. I am sharing a sweet dish to celebrate this achievement. Sweet vermicelli or vella semiya is a simple sweet dish made out of millet vermicelli and jaggery. Nowadays all kinds of millet vermicelli are available in the market. This dish can be made easily in a few minutes. I used Foxtail millet vermicelli for this recipe.
- 3/4 Cup Roasted Foxtail Millet Vermicelli
- 1/4 Cup Water (for syrup)
- 1/3 Cup Jaggery Powder
- 1/4 Cup Grated Coconut
- 2 Tbsp Ghee roasted Cashewnuts
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- Wash the vermicelli and transfer to a bowl. In a small cooker add half cup water. Place this bowl inside and cook for a whistle. Let pressure settle.
- Meanwhile, in a pan add jaggery and water. Make a thick syrup. Finally add cardamom powder.
- Open the cooker and transfer the vermicelli to the syrup. Add ghee, coconut and roasted nuts. Mix well. Serve warm.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
1. Millet vermicelli is very delicate. So roast them on low heat. One cup of unroasted vermicelli yields 3/4 cup after roasting.
2. For Vegan version, use coconut oil instead of ghee.
3. No need to add water to the vermicelli. Just hydrating them is enough.