Venpongal is offered to Lord Narayan during Margazhi month. It is one of the preferred breakfast dish in South India. It is a perfect blend of rice and dal with mild spices served with chutney, sambar, gothsu etc. I have made pongal with Kodo, Little, Barnyard and Foxtail millets and all tastes awesome! Here, I have used Barnyard Millet. It is an OPOS dish.
- 1/2 Cup Barnyard Millet/Kudhiraivali
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Moong dal
- 2.5 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Crushed Pepper
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 5 Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Chopped Ginger
- 2 tbsp Ghee roasted cashews
- Dry roast dal and millet separately till nice aroma on medium heat.
- Wash them thoroughly.
- In a 3 Ltr Pressure Cooker, add them along with the above mentioned ingredients.
- Cook on medium heat for 5 whistles.
- Open after pressure settles down.
- Serve hot with chutney/sambar/gothsu.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- Instead of milk, water can be used. I always prefer milk as it tastes like temple prasadham.
- Adding more ghee is optional.