Venpongal is offered to Lord Narayan during Margazhi month. It is one of the preferred breakfast dish in South India. It is a perfect blend of rice and dal with mild spices served with chutney, sambar, gothsu etc. I have made pongal with Kodo, Little, Barnyard and Foxtail millets and all tastes awesome! Here, I have used Barnyard Millet.
- 1/2 Cup Barnyard Millet/Kudhiraivali
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Moong dal
- 2.5 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Crushed Pepper
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 5 Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Chopped Ginger
- 2 tbsp Ghee roasted cashews
- Dry roast dal and millet separately till nice aroma on medium heat.
- Wash them thoroughly.
- Heat a 3 Ltr Pressure Cooker, add ghee add ginger, pepper jeera and curry leaves. Sauté for 30 seconds and add the other ingredients.
- Cook on medium heat for 5 whistles.
- Open after pressure settles down.
- Serve hot with chutney/sambar/gothsu.
- Instead of milk, water can be used. I always prefer milk as it tastes like temple prasadham.
- Adding more ghee is optional.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?