Caramel Payasam is made by caramelising sugar and then cooking starch along with the sauce, so that the smell infuses into the pudding. Generally rice is used for this sweet. I have used millet poha and got a rich creamy payasam with caramel flavour!
- 1/2 Cup Foxtail Millet/Thinai Flakes
- 2 Cups + 1 Cup Milk
- 5 Tsp Sugar (as sweetener)
- 1 Tbsp Sugar (for making caramel syrup)
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Nut Powder (mix nuts of cashews, almonds and pumpkin seeds and make powder)
- Wash and drain millet.
- In a 2 Ltr Pressure Cooker, add 1 tbsp of sugar and allow it to caramelise. No need to add water.
- This will be done in a minute. Reduce the heat to minimum.
- When sugar turns into nice golden brown colour, add water.
- Add the washed and drained flakes and 2 cups of milk.
- Close and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Switch off.
- Open after 5 minutes and add sugar, nut powder and mix well. Again close the cooker with weight on. No need to cook further. Everything gets blended nicely in the retained heat.
- Open after 10minutes, add 1 cup of hot milk and mix thoroughly.
- Flavourful caramel payasam is ready!
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email