Caramel Payasam is made by caramelising sugar and then cooking starch along with the sauce, so that the smell infuses into the pudding. Generally rice is used for this sweet. I have used millet poha and got a rich creamy payasam with caramel flavour!
- 1/2 Cup Foxtail Millet/Thinai Flakes
- 2 Cups + 1 Cup Milk
- 5 Tsp Sugar (as sweetener)
- 1 Tbsp Sugar (for making caramel syrup)
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Nut Powder (mix nuts of cashews, almonds and pumpkin seeds and make powder)
- Wash and drain millet.
- In a pan, add 1 tbsp of sugar and allow it to caramelise on low heat. No need to add water.
- When sugar turns into nice golden brown colour switch off.
- In a small cooker, add the washed and drained flakes and 2 cups of milk. Close and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Switch off.
- In a pan, add 1 tbsp of sugar and allow it to caramelise on low heat. No need to add water. When sugar turns into nice golden brown colour switch off.
- Open the cooker, add caramel, sugar, nut powder and mix well. Again close the cooker with weight on. No need to cook further. Everything gets blended nicely in the retained heat.
- Open after 10minutes, add 1 cup of hot milk and mix thoroughly.
- Flavourful caramel payasam is ready!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?