This Payasam/Kheer is mildly sweetened with jaggery and the aroma of coconut milk adds richness to the dish. Try this millet version and I am sure you will find it more tasty than the rice variety.
- 1/4 Cup Foxtail Millet/Thinai
- 1/4 Cup Jaggery Powder
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/8 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Ghee roasted dry fruits.
- Wash and soak the millet for an hour. Drain.
- In a 2 Ltr Pressure Cooker add ghee, 2 tbsp water, millet,and milk in the same order. Close the cooker and cook for 15 minutes on lowest heat. You may get a single whistle or no whistle. Ignore that. Switch off and let the pressure settle down.
- Heat a small pan, add jaggery powder and 1/4 Cup water. Cook till the raw smell goes off and a syrup is obtained.
- Open and mash the cooked millet slightly. Transfer the jaggery syrup to the millet.
- Add coconut milk, cardamom powder and give a good stir. Close the lid and let it all blend well in the retained heat.
- Open after 10 minutes.
- Creamy, flavourful coconut milk payasam is ready!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?