This Payasam/Kheer is mildly sweetened with jaggery and the aroma of coconut milk adds richness to the dish. Try this millet version and I am sure you will find it more tasty than the rice variety. It is an OPOS dish.
- 1/4 Cup Foxtail Millet/Thinai
- 1/4 Cup Jaggery Powder
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/8 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Ghee roasted dry fruits.
- Wash and soak the millet for an hour.
- In a 2 Ltr Pressure Cooker
- Layer 1: 1/2 tsp Ghee and 1 tsp Water
- Layer 2: Soaked drained millet
- Layer 3: 1/8 cup water and 1/2 cup milk
- In a small steel tumbler, add jaggery powder, Cardamom powder and 3 tbsp water.
- Keep this on the millet milk mixture.
- Close the cooker and cook for 15 minutes on lowest heat. You may get a single whistle or no whistle. Ignore that.
- Switch off and let the pressure settle down.
- Open and mash the cooked millet slightly. Transfer the jaggery syrup to the millet.
- Add coconut milk and give a good stir. Close the lid and let it all blend well in the retained heat.
- Open after 10 minutes.
- Creamy, flavourful coconut milk payasam is ready!
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email