Kandarappam is a very famous deep fried sweet from Chettinad cuisine. Generally it is made during Diwali. I replaced raw rice with Little Millet for this recipe and got soft and tasty kandarappams.
- 1 Cup Little Millet/Samai
- 2 Tbsp Whole White Urad Dal
- 2 Tbsp Sago/Sabudana/Javvarisi
- 1/2 Tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 Cup Jaggery Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/4 Cup Grated Coconut
- A pinch of salt
- Oil for frying
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- Wash and soak millet, dal, sago and fenugreek seeds for 3 hours. Drain.
- Using a blender grind a thick soft batter without adding much water. It should be in paste consistency. Since jaggery will leave water, it is necessary to grind the batter very thick.
- Finally add jaggery, coconut and cardamom powder, salt and blend everything. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Give a good mix of the batter with a ladle.
- Heat oil in a pan. Pour a small ladle full of batter and fry them on medium heat. When the bottom is cooked, flip and fry the other side. Flip a few times till it gets a nice golden colour on both sides.
- Remove and drain on a kitchen tissue.
1. Kodo/Foxtail/Barnyard millets can be used for this recipe.