Kesari is a traditional sweet of South India made with Rava/sooji. I have used home made millet grits/rava for this recipe and the sweet turned out very good and it simply melts in the mouth! Though I have used sugar as a sweetener, jaggery or palm sugar can also be used. Tried the same recipe with palm sugar and it is equally tasty!
- 1/4 Cup Samai/Little Millet Rava
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Big Pinch of Cardamom Powder
- 1 Big Pinch of Kesari Colour
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 2 Tbsp Water for Sugar Syrup
- In a 2 Ltr Pressure Cooker add water and millet grits and colour. Cook for 3 whistles. Switch off and let the pressure settle down.
- Heat a pan add sugar and water for syrup and make sugar syrup of one string consistency.
- Pour the sugar syrup to the cooked millet along with ghee. Give a good mix.
- Yummy millet kesari ready!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- For vegan version use coconut oil instead of ghee.
- Millet grits can be made at home. Take a cup of any millet and grind in the mixie. Do no run the mixie continuously. Give short pulses. Your girts/rava will be ready. Sieve the grits and separate the powder. This can be mixed with idli/dosa batter.
- Can add ghee roasted nuts finally.