Kesari is a traditional sweet of South India made with Rava/sooji. I have used home made millet grits/rava for this recipe and the sweet turned out very good and it simply melts in the mouth! Though I have used sugar as a sweetener, jaggery or palm sugar can also be used. Tried the same recipe with palm sugar and it is equally tasty!
- 1/4 Cup Samai/Little Millet Rava
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Big Pinch of Cardamom Powder
- 1 Big Pinch of Kesari Colour
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 2 Tbsp Water for Sugar Syrup
- In a 2 Ltr Pressure Cooker add water and millet grits and colour. Cook for 3 whistles. Switch off and let the pressure settle down.
- Heat a pan add sugar and water for syrup and make sugar syrup of one string consistency.
- Pour the sugar syrup to the cooked millet along with ghee. Give a good mix.
- Yummy millet kesari ready!
- For vegan version use coconut oil instead of ghee.
- Millet grits can be made at home. Take a cup of any millet and grind in the mixie. Do no run the mixie continuously. Give short pulses. Your girts/rava will be ready. Sieve the grits and separate the powder. This can be mixed with idli/dosa batter.
- Can add ghee roasted nuts finally.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Made little millet kesari for Navratri today. Softness of the grits and light texture of the kesari was mind blowing . I refrain from making rava kesari simply because it takes very long to digest and feels bloated . No more looking back and millet kesari is the way to go. Thanks again for exploring into the Millet world and sharing your expertise with us.
Happy to get a validation from you! Glad to know that it turned out well and you love it!
Yummy kesari vv! Tried with Jaggery instead of sugar. It was yummy. Made for potluck in my daughter’s school. Children asked for more!!
Glad to know that children loved the healthy Kesari! Thanks so much for sharing your experience.
Hi Vijaya, My sister tried samai millet kesari and it turned out to be a hit it seems. Thank you VV
Glad to know that Kesari turned out yummy at your sister’s place. Thanks so much for the validation and sharing your experience.
Lovely and yummy kesari.
I scaled up to 1/2 cup millet Rawa. Still got it done in 5.30 min.
Thank you VV
Your kesari was looking so delicious! Thanks so much for trying this recipe and sharing your experience.
Thanks for the yummy recipe. Is this oops one? Please clarify.
Yes, this Kesari is an opos recipe. You can try and validate. Thanks so much for your visit.
Looks soooo yummy VV. will try this for sure. Does this fall under the oops category? Please clarify
Excellent taste vv…
My daughter doesn’t like sweets in general.but she liked this very much…
Thanks for trying and happy to know that your daughter enjoyed this sweet. Your kesari looks mouth watering!
Superb millet Kesari VV???????? sure gonna try ????
Thanks for your visit. Please do try and share your experience. Waiting for your validation!!