Modhakam/Kozhukattai is offered to Lord Ganesha. It is made using rice flour stuffed with various types of fillings. I have replaced rice flour by bajra/kambu. The flour becomes soft and supple by Autolysis . Ragi also works well and I have prepared modhakams many times using this millet.
- For the outer covering:
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup grated coconut
- 1/2 Cup powdered Jaggery
- 1/8 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 tsp Ghee
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
- In a 2 ltr Pressure Cooker, add water, oil, salt and cook for a whistle.
- Release pressure manually and mix in the bajra flour. Mix till it becomes like wet sand. Keep it covered for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a pan add 2 tsp of water and jaggery powder. Heat till it becomes thick. Add the grated coconut and cardamom powder and a tsp of ghee.
- Cook till everything comes together like a ball.
- Switch off heat and let it cool.
- After 20 minutes, open the pressure cooker and gently knead the dough by greasing the fingers.
- Divide in small gooseberry size balls.
- Make 'choppu' and fill it with the coconut stuffing and cover by giving a good shape.
- Steam the modhakams/Kozhukattais for 5 minutes.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes and serve.