Cooks in : 30 min Serves: 2 people
Traditionally Paal Payasam is made with rice which is cooked in milk by simmering for a long time and sugar is added as a sweetner. I used Little Millet and with OPOS technique, creamy payasam was ready in 30 minutes.
- 1/4 Cup Little Millet
- 1 Tsp Ghee
- 1/2 + 1/2 Cups Boiled and Cooled Milk in room temperature.
- 1/8 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 4 Saffron Strands
- 2 Finely Grated Almonds
- 1 Tbsp Ghee Fried Cashews
- 4 Tbsp Sugar ( I use brown sugar)
- Wash and soak millet in 1/4 Cup water for 30 minutes.
- Drain and collect the water and keep aside.
- In a 2 Ltr Pressure Cooker :
- Layer 1: Add 1 tsp ghee and 1 tbsp water.
- Layer 2: Add the drained millet, cardamom powder and saffron strands.
- Layer 3: Water which is kept aside after draining the millet.
- Layer 4: Add 1/2 cup milk.
- Close and cook for 5 whistles on small burner high.
- Open after 5 minutes, slightly mash the cooked millet and add the balance 1/2 cup milk and sugar. Mix and close the cooker with weight on.
- Open after 10 minutes. Creamy payasam ready.
- Garnish with cashews and almonds.