Manjal/Turmeric is one of the most effective nutritional supplement. It has Curcumin, which has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant. When turmeric is taken along with pepper, its health benefits manifolds. It helps in lowering the risks of brain diseases, heart diseases, cancer, arthritis and helps in treating depression. This recipe is such an easy one, through which we can reap the full benefits of turmeric.
- 1.5 Cups Cooked Foxtail Millet/Thinai
- 1/4 Cup Grated Fresh turmeric/Pasumanjal
- 1 Tbsp Grated Ginger
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Peanuts
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 Tsp Chana Dal
- 8 Curry Leaves
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 Red Chilli
- A small Pinch of Turmeric Powder
- In a pan add oil and do the seasoning of the ingredients mentioned under the heading 'seasoning'.
- Keeping the heat on low, add grated turmeric, ginger and salt. Sauté for a few minutes till the raw smell goes off.
- Turn off the heat. Add precooked and cooled millet and mix well. Serve warm.
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email
1. Other millets like Little, Barnyard and Kodo can be used for this recipe.
2. Adjust chillies according to your taste.
3. Please refer the post “Millet Rice” to know how to cook non mushy millets.
4. 2 Tbsp of grated carrots can be added finally to make the dish more colourful.