Puttu is a sweet dish generally prepared during Navarathri as this is considered special for Ambal. Puttu is prepared by Steaming rice flour and mixing with jaggery syrup. I replaced rice flour with jowar and used OPOS techniques to get a soft texture. The result was awesome!
- 1 Cup Jowar/Cholam flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 + 2 tbsp Water
- 1/4 Cup Grated Jaggery
- 1 tbsp Water for the syrup
- 1/8 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 2 tbsp Grated Coconut
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 2 Cashew nuts broken and fried in ghee
- In a small coffee tumbler add jaggery and a tbsp water kept for syrup.
- In a 3 Lr Pressure Cooker, add a cup of water.
- Place the flour in a vessel and keep the jaggery tumbler beside this. Ensure that water doesn't enter the flour and jaggery containers.
- Cook for 8 whistles and open after pressure settles down.
- With the help of a fork fluff up and add ghee, jaggery syrup, cardamom powder, cashew nuts and grated coconut. Mix thoroughly.
- Soft Puttu is ready!
Subscribe and receive new recipes via email